Though no specific numbers are available, it is believed that the original steeple was between 50-52-feet high. This is based on proportionate drawings of the church. The current steeple measures approximately 48-feet above the flat portion of the steeple which is directly above the church roof. The bell is a 1400-pound bell donated by William Talcott in 1854. The original steeple blew off in 1913. In 1948 a gift was given the church for a new steeple fund and in 1958 the new steeple was dedicated with the bell back in it’s place.
The church building is 42′ 2” wide and 65′ 7” long. The structure from ground to highest point of roof is 32′ 1”. The ceilings in the sanctuary are 22′ high. The church has eight windows which are 12′ 10” high and long green shutters, which are original to the church. Each window is comprised of 45 panes of glass.
History states that the Rev. Phillip Ralph served the church from 1923-1939. Rev. Ralph was a very good carpenter and set about to maintain the building which had become a bit neglected in difficult years. One of the many fun facts of the church is that records indicate that Rev. Ralph constructed the lecturn and alter which are found in the front of the church from wood he took from a downtown tavern that closed. He also constructed or remodeled a piece of furniture which serves as the altar in the front of the church. Under his direction the stone wall was constructed behind the church which includes a bird bath and fireplace. Although unclear through records it appears that Rev. Ralph may have overseen the construction of the two large pillars which stand as sentinels on either side of the alter in the front of the church along with the velvet curtain. Those pieces were said to be intended to be installed when the church was built but were perhaps put off because of financial constraints.
The two distinctive pillars at the entrance of the church are 22” wide and 22′ tall with 22″flutes”, as the indentations are called. Originally the steps to the church were constructed of wood which deteriorated over the years. Those were replaced by large limestone pieces for stairs and an entry, each weighing up to one ton each. In 2008 the front appearance of the church was changed to include a wheelchair ramp and the stairs leading up to the church were broadened to give the church an inviting appearance to all who drive by and enter. A few years previous to this the entire church building was repainted in and out. All this was achieved by a capital funds campaign that was paid off before the renovations even started.
In 1965 an addition was built on to the back of the church which houses the church office, Christian education classrooms, and a fellowship hall and kitchen. This was not achieved without some consternation since some members did not want to affect the appearance of the original church structure. However it was constructed and it’s now difficult to imagine church life at the Old Stone Church without the needed room.
In 2012 construction was begun on as addition at the end of the classroom addition to house an elevator/lift for easy access to both levels of the church. The majority of this work was accomplished by four members of the congregation. The final peice makes the church entirely accessible to anyone with any form of disability.
All the changes made were carefully constructed so as not to interfere with the historic authenticity of the church when it was first constructed.